TEHRAN (Iran News) –Iran has unequivocally denied the U.S. Navy’s allegations that it attempted to sneak 70 tons of a missile fuel component onto a ship headed for Yemen and concealed it amid bags of fertilizer.
The Islamic Republic of Iran’s Permanent Mission to the UN in New York denied the accusations as unfounded in a statement on Thursday, saying Tehran is firmly committed to UN Security Council Resolution 2216, which places an arms embargo on Yemen.
The statement said that none of the allegations made against Iran over the smuggling of guns to Yemen had been proven. Iran “has not taken any action against the resolution and is actively complying with the sanctions committee constituted to supervise the arms embargo,” it said.
Iran is “doing its utmost to restore the truce agreement and enable talks between Yemeni factions as soon as feasible in order to achieve peace and stability in Yemen,” the diplomatic mission added.
The U.S. Navy purportedly said on Tuesday that on November 8 the Coast Guard ship USCGC John Scheuerman and the guided-missile destroyer USS The Sullivans intercepted a traditional wooden sailing vessel known as a dhow in the Sea of Oman.
It claimed sailors allegedly found sachets of ammonium perchlorate concealed within what at first glance looked to be a consignment of 100 tons of urea.
In addition, the forces claimed that the quantity of ammonium perchlorate found could power more than a dozen medium-range ballistic missiles that members of the Ansarullah movement have used to launch retaliatory attacks against targets inside Saudi Arabia and the United Arab Emirates (UAE).
The president of Yemen’s Supreme Political Council criticized U.S. Special Envoy for Yemen Tim Lenderking earlier this month for thwarting efforts to prolong the UN-brokered ceasefire and compared the situation in his nation to a ticking time bomb.
“We are in a position of no peace and no war. Although we had made significant progress in earlier rounds of negotiations, the American envoy’s visit to the region derailed those efforts,” Mahdi al-Mashat was reported as saying in Sanaa on November 7 by Yemen’s official Saba news agency.
Al-Mashat referred to Lenderking’s trip to the region beginning on October 11 to ostensibly assist the UN-led efforts to extend the cease-fire in Yemen as “while the U.S. ambassador pretends to be a peace dove, he is more an ill-omened owl.”
Together with its Arab allies, the U.S. and other Western powers provided Saudi Arabia with munitions and logistical support when it began its destructive war against Yemen in March 2015.
The goal was to overthrow the Ansarullah resistance movement, which had been in charge of the government in Yemen in the absence of a functioning one, and reinstate Abd Rabbuh Mansour Hadi’s pro-Riyadh regime.
Despite the fact that the Saudi-led coalition has not succeeded in achieving any of its goals, the war has killed hundreds of thousands of Yemenis and caused the greatest humanitarian disaster in history.
- source : Tehrantimes