TEHRAN (Iran News) –Head of Iran’s Power Generation, Distribution, and Transmission Company (TAVANIR) says increasing electricity export to Iraq hinges on Iraq’s needs but currently Iran has required infrastructures for increasing exports.
Speaking to ILNA Arash Kordi touched upon the program for increasing electricity export to Iraq and noted that currently electricity export to Iraq continues based on the five-year contract between the two states.
On increasing exports to Iraq, he said that Iran is ready to increase the amount of electricity export to Iraq if the country is interested and there is no problem for Iranian side.
Kordi reiterated that Iran has required infrastructures for increasing exports to Iraq, adding that Iran still seeks ways to get its money from Iraq for its electricity exports. He reiterated that due to sanctions, Iraq has problem in paying its debt to Iran and settling the account but Iran worked has hard to stop rise of the amount of the debts through cooperation with Central Bank and government bodies.
He reiterated that Iran seeks export of electricity as this policy is on the agenda, adding that the total amount of its electricity export based on its agreements is between 1000 to 1500 megawatts and it can increase it to 2000 to 2100 megawatts.
Meanwhile on the sidelines of the 22nd Electricity Industry Exhibition, the CEO of Thermal Power Plants Holding Company Mr. Abdolrasul Pishahang said that the company has increased 4400 megawatts more to the national electricity production capacity and it has also improved the new units by 1035 megawatts, noting that therefore 5500 megawatts of electricity has been added to the production capacity, and with production of renewable energy, this capacity reached 6,000 megawatts.
He noted that the country has set 4 records in the past year in the electricity industry, adding that the first record was the increasing the readiness of power plants by 98% through repairing and 94,000 megawatts has been added to the capacity.
Pishahang went on to say that the company could install and launch a unit in just 8 months while in the past the unit was installed and launched normally in 36 to 40 months.
He said that some 132 power plants and power plants units are in the country and ownership of 68% of them is in the hands of the private sector while the government owns the remaining 32%.
Pishahang then pointed to developing new power plants and improving the existing power plants, adding that the company has planned to add 3025 megawatts of electricity to the grid. He reiterated that the second fuel of 14 power plants out of 132 is fuel oil and the remaining is gas oil, it means only 10% can use fuel oil and other ones are unable to use this fuel.