TEHRAN (Iran News) – Lebanon is not facing a bread crisis, Caretaker Economy Minister Raoul Nehme said Wednesday, after the country’s only wheat silo was destroyed at the Beirut Port during the explosion last week.
“There is no reserve crunch and no bread crisis,” Lebanon economy minister tweeted, the Daily Star reported.
Lebanon’s mills have a stock of 32,000 tons of flour, in addition to 110,000 tons that are set to arrive in the coming two weeks, he said.
“So the stock (of flour) will be enough for four months.”
He added that the World Food Program will secure 17,000 tons of flour as well, which will be distributed to affected areas.
A report by the UN Office for the Coordination of Humanitarian Affairs said that flour sent by WFP – which in total will amount to around 50,000 tons – is to “stabilize the national supply and ensure there is no food shortage in the country”.
Nehme said that Lebanon’s monthly consumption of flour is 35,000 tons.
With the country’s only grain silo destroyed, and the Beirut Port damage still being assessed, the Tripoli Port, north of the country, which has one-third of the capital’s port capacity has become the main seaport to receive shipments.
According to the UN report, the Beirut Port is expected to remain inoperable for at least a month.
- source : Tasnim, Irannews