TEHRAN (Iran News) – Egypt, France, Germany, and Jordan warned Israel on Tuesday against annexing parts of the Palestinian territories, saying that doing so could have consequences for bilateral relations.
The warning was issued in a statement distributed by the German Foreign Ministry, according to Reuters.
These countries, along with most other European states, oppose Israeli plans that envisage annexing parts of the occupied West Bank as part of a Middle East scheme drawn up by US President Donald Trump’s administration and unveiled in January on the Israeli-Palestinian conflict.
“We concur that any annexation of Palestinian territories occupied in 1967 would be a violation of international law,” the European and Middle Eastern foreign ministers said after their videoconference.
They added annexing parts of the Palestinian territories could also have consequences for the relationship with Israel.
On Monday, Indonesia’s government and House of Representatives also censured Israel’s plan to annex Palestinian territories.
“President Joko Widodo fully supports our firm stance against the Deal of the Century, including the annexation of the West Bank by Israel,” Mardani Ali Sera, the deputy chairman of the Indonesian Committee for Inter-Parliamentary Cooperation (BKSAP) told Turkey’s Anadolu Agency.
Mardani said opposition to Trump’s so-called peace plan had been announced in a joint statement between the House and Foreign Minister Retno Marsudi.
He added that the House and the Foreign Ministry would continue to work together to mobilize international support against the plan.
Mardani also proposed establishing a special unit under the Indonesian Foreign Ministry to encourage Palestinian independence.
‘Aggression against Palestinians’
The Palestinian and Lebanese resistance movements, Hamas and Hezbollah, have censured Israel’s plan to annex large parts of the occupied West Bank as an act of “aggression against the Palestinian people”, calling for a united front against the US-backed land grab bid.
In a letter to Secretary General of Hezbollah Sayyed Hassan Nasrallah on Monday, Ismail Haniyeh, the head of the political bureau of Hamas, highlighted the “grave dangers” posed by Israel to the Palestinian cause, according to a statement by the Lebanese resistance group, Press TV reported.
“The Palestinian people are capable of confronting this plan,” the statement said, calling on Arab and Muslim nations and “free people of the world to quickly move to stop the occupation’s continuous aggression against the Palestinian people.”
According to Lebanon’s Al-Manar news website, the letter was handed by Hamas’ representative in Lebanon, Ahmad Abdul Hadi, and an accompanying delegation to Head of Hezbollah’s Palestinian File Hassan Hoballah.
The two sides reiterated their unified stance against the Israeli plot.
Hoballah reiterated Hezbollah’s support for the Palestinian struggles against Israel’s occupation, stressing that all the conspiracies against the Palestinian cause would be thwarted.
Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu had set July 1 as the date for starting the annexation plan’s implementation, but the move faced delays amid internal rifts and as Tel Aviv awaits a green light from Washington.
The contentious plan would allow Tel Aviv to annex about 30 percent of the West Bank.
The scheme – which Trump calls the deal of the century – largely gives in to Israel’s demands while creating a Palestinian state with limited control over its own security and borders, enshrining the occupied Al-Quds as Israel’s “capital”.
- source : Iran Daily, Irannews