TEHRAN (Iran News) – Iran dismissed US President Donald Trump’s offer of better talks with the US over its nuclear program as “nothing but political showboating.”
“The US government knows what to do to achieve any successful diplomacy with Iran,” Ali Rabiei, the spokesman for the government, said in a televised news conference Monday. “They have to rebuild everything they have destroyed unilaterally.”
In a tweet last week celebrating the return of an American citizen imprisoned in Iran – released as part of a swap deal with Washington – Trump offered the prospect of an agreement if the Islamic Republic didn’t wait to negotiate until after this year’s US presidential election.
“Thank you to Iran, it shows a deal is possible!” he tweeted.
The prisoner exchange represented a rare sign of diplomacy between Washington and Tehran as the Trump administration continues to ramp up sanctions on Iran over its nuclear program.
Two years ago, Trump abandoned the 2015 pact that the US, Germany, France, Britain, Russia, and China negotiated with Iran and reimposed tough sanctions on the Islamic Republic.
“We see no indication that the tweets of the US president are true. The willingness of the US administration to engage in serious and fruitful talks [should] have signs that we do not see in these statements,” Rabiei said.
He said if the US is keen on talks with Iran, it can return to the same negotiating table with the remaining parties to the nuclear deal, which it has abandoned.
Bloomberg contributed to this story.
- source : Iran Daily, Irannews