TEHRAN – A new round of restoration project has recently started on the centuries-old Saint George Church, which is located in Haftvan village, northwestern West Azarbaijan province.
Flooring, landscaping, fresco paintings, perimeter walls, and its indoor amphitheater are being rehabilitated, ISNA reported.
The church dates from the late Safavid era (1501–1736) and is inscribed on the National Heritage List.
In 2008, UNESCO registered Monastery of Saint Thaddeus (Qareh Klise), St. Stepanos Monastery and the Chapel of Dzordzor, altogether under the title “Armenian Monastic Ensembles of Iran”.
PHOTO: A view of Saint George Church in Haftvan