TEHRAN – Foreign ministers of Iran and France in a telephone conversation discussed the most recent developments surrounding the Joint Comprehensive Plan of Action (JCPOA), a nuclear agreement between Tehran and the Group 5+1 (Russia, China, the US, Britain, France and Germany).
In the phone conversation on Tuesday evening, Iranian Foreign Minister Mohammad Javad Zarif and his French counterpart Jean-Yves Le Drian also held talks about the latest regional developments.
It was the second telephone conversation between Zarif and Le Drian over the past few days.
While the US administration’s threatening language about the JCPOA has raised concerns in the international community, all other members of the Group 5+1 (also known as E3+3) have backed the multilateral agreement and have confirmed Iran’s commitment to the accord.
Last week, leaders of Britain, France and Germany reaffirmed their commitment to the JCPOA after US President Donald Trump refused to certify the multilateral nuclear agreement.
British Prime Minister Theresa May, French President Emmanuel Macron and German Chancellor Angela Merkel said they “stand committed to its full implementation by all sides”, noting that they “take note of President Trump’s decision” not to recertify Iran’s compliance with the JCPOA to the US Congress and were “concerned by the possible implications.”
After months of anticipation, US President Trump on Friday said his administration “cannot and will not” certify Iran’s compliance with the JCPOA to Congress, as he set out a new strategy for dealing with Iran.
date: 18 October 2017 id: 12003 source: Tasnim